Thursday, April 22, 2010

Girls on the Run (GOTR)



Thank you to Running Diva Mom, one of my first blog readers for mentioning this great organization, Girls on the Run. Learn more here http://www.girlsontherun.org/ You can check to see if there are any local chapters in your area (Glens Falls, NY for me) and how you can get involved.

I've always wanted to be a runner, I admire all you who do run. I guess you could say I'm a runner at heart... buried behind all the fat. When I was at my lowest weight, about 2 years ago ,I started running slowly. I am a walker, a crazy walker at that. I participated 3 years ago in a 60 mile, 3 Day walk to help fight breast cancer in Boston http://www.the3day.org/. I trained so hard for this walk and it was the most rewarding thing I've done so far, for myself and others. I plan on doing it again soon.

Diva Mom has posted on her blog, http://runningdivamom.blogspot.com/ a virtual race. It is only 1 mile.. ONE MILE. I couldn't tell you the last I ran a mile without stopping but I'm up for the challenge (a challenge for me anyways). All she asked was at least $1 donation towards her marathon which she is doing to support GOTR. So I took the plunge, made a donation (you are welcome) to commit to the race and am going to work on putting a little more running into my walks each day. Stay tuned for my blog mid-May about the race!

1 comment:

  1. WOO HOO! yeah you! Thanks for the shout out!! :-)
    This is exactly what I want --- people like you to believe in yourself and make it happen. YOU can do this! I hated running in gym class in school and dreaded the end of the year when we had to do the mile. I laugh at that now! Cuz now I'm hooked. Walking or running -- you will make it! :-)

    ReplyDelete